Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Hunger Games Was Awesome

The Hunger Games movie staring Jennifer Lawrence was fantastic. I've never read the books, but I bought the first one today because I loved the movie so much. How many of you cried when Rue died? There was a girl in the movie theater a few seats back who was bawling her eyes out. My friend and I made were wiping away stray tears with tissues.
And when the Gamemakers (is that what they're called? I'm sorry, I don't know) tried to kill Katniss with fire, or when the other tributes were trying to kill her and she was up that tree, or when she got bit by that freaky wasp, we were holding hands and quietly cheering her on. I think there's something in Katniss' personality that appeals to people, no matter what age. She's strong but still fails, and still cries. And you want her to win. No matter what, you want her to win.
The crowds in the main city - you see them and you think they're sick. Absolutely disgustingly revoltingly sick. But then you think, what about me? If you were in one of the better-off districts you'd be one of them too. It's thought-provoking, and probably what made me decide to buy the book. You want to see more of this crazy world because it works. It makes sense, in a twisted way. And you want good to win, but how do we define good? Did the Gamemaker deserve his death at the end of the movie? Wasn't he good too, in a way? But then you remember that he is (was?) Gamemaker - he designed the bloody public death arena several times, and you can't forgive that.

Can you?

No comments:

Post a Comment